Path: Ask the Experts >> 

My China supplier hasn't shipped the goods I ordered and refuses to refund the full purchase price? What can I do?


Full Question

We placed an order with a supplier and paid both the deposit and balance. After getting the balance payment, the supplier refused to ship out the goods. Now he offers to return only 50% of the amount. How can we get the total amount back?


The following answer on our Ask the Expert Section offers suggestions on how to handle a situation like yours:

What can I do if a supplier defaults on advance payment for an order?

The first question to ask yourself is "Do you want to save the relationship with this company so that you can do business in the future?" If the answer is "yes," then you should consider getting a third party mediation firm involved. is one that I have used and can recommend. They also have Russian clients.

If your answer to the above question is "no," then I suggest you work with a Chinese lawyer to issue a demand letter, and if that doesn't work - go to court.

I've used the English-speaking Chinese law firm of for your reference.

Let me know if you would like an introduction to Chibridge or SouthernPerspectiveSZ and I will be happy to put you in touch.

In hopes that this problem doesn't happen next time, I would like to offer a few videos that give tips and strategies about selecting good suppliers and organizing payments:

How To Find Chinese Suppliers

How To Evaluate Chinese Suppliers

How To Negotiate With Chinese Suppliers

You may also be interested in the following answer from our Ask the Experts section that relate to your problem:

Why would a supplier break the terms of your contract/PO?

Have another sourcing question? Submit your question to our sourcing experts.

* Your E-mail address:
(Required, but will not be made public)
* Your Question: